“It’s the most wonderful time of the year, with the beer overflowing and everyone yelling “Go Broncos let’s win” Its the most wonderful time of the year!” HAPPY NFL SEASON AMERICA! It is absolutely 100% my favorite season of them all. Fantasy football has just kicked off and my Sundays are now full with beer, brats, and touchdowns. The only thing that could be better is if my home team The Minnesota Vikings could make it to the Superbowl. However, with Teddy Bridgewater out for the season, our chances may be slim. Nonetheless SKOL VIKINGS!
I am always in a bit of a pickle when it comes to the NFL. I am from Minnesota and a die hard Vikings fan, but I also have a soft spot for my new adoptive team and reigning Superbowl champs the Denver Broncos. My husband and I love to go out to the local sports bars and root on our teams. We find it lucky, that at least the Broncos and Vikings are not in the same division.
The tricky part about this year’s Sunday Funday‘s is going to be how to continue with my fitness journey but still have all of the fun and Buffalo Wings that make this season great. I turned to the internet to find some helpful tips and recipes for your tailgate season that won’t completely negate all of the hard work you’ve put in this summer.
TIP #1: Kick Some A** at the Gym before Kick Off
This past week kicked off the NFL season, but it also kicked off my intensity at the gym. I knew that I planned on having a few beers and a bloody Mary beginning at 11AM Sunday. To balance things out I decided to take it easy Saturday night, drink lots of water, and book myself in for an Orange Theory Fitness class bright and early Sunday morning. By committing myself to a workout class, before the game, I made smart choices the night before. I went to bed at a decent hour and avoided drinking. When 7:30am rolled around I knew I had to get up and work for my beer.
By working out before the game, you are able to jumpstart your metabolism and set yourself up for healthy choices for the remainder of the day. Not only did it feel great to get up and get my workout out of the way, the idea of beer and football afterward motivated me to run faster than before.
I worked hard for this bloody Mary!!!
TIP #2: Swap out your not so healthy snacks for smarter choices!
Okay, I am fully aware that this is Lazy Lady Fitness and I should be promoting that you eat all of the bacon, pizza, and tacos that you can handle, but I swear I have tried out these recipes and you will not be disappointed!
1. Sub Wings for Buffalo Cauliflower- No joke this stuff is addicting!
Find the recipe HERE
gimmedelicious.com has tons of great recipes to choose from. Both healthy and not-so healthy.
2. Or if you are still craving more buffalo check out this Skinny Buffalo dip from Gimmesomeoven.com Here!
3. HUMMUS! I know when I am watching the game, all I want to do is snack. Having a healthy option available like hummus is great. Add some carrots, olives, pita bread, and peppers to make it even better!
4. Cauliflower Tacos! Oh my goodness you do not know what you are missing until you try some type of cauliflower taco. One of my favorites is from City O’ City in Denver. They have an amazing Chorizo Cauliflower Taco, but these look just as amazing- Check out Emilieeats.com recipe HERE!
5. Sub your drinks for healthier ones! Obviously you can always sub a Bud for a bud light or a Coors Banquet for it’s lighter option, however I am not a girl that is satisfied with a Michelob Ultra. If I am going light, I almost always choose a Vodka Soda with 2 limes. I thinks it is always a good idea to find one or two healthier drink options that don’t make you feel like you are settling. A few of my friends also reach for Truly Spiked & Sparkling drinks to keep them happy! They are also only 100 calories and 5% ABV and delicious! Check out their FB page for more info HERE!
TIP #3. Have Fun and Mingle
This tip may be a “Duh!” moment for some of us, but seriously, getting up during commercials and mingling with friends will help you keep active and moving. Host a few parties or go to a sports bar with darts or pool. Anything really that keeps you off that couch. Plus, watching the game surrounded by other avid football fans is the best type of atmosphere for truly enjoying the game.
My final piece of advice to my Lazy Lady Football fans is to just relax and treat yo self! One day of beer and wings will not kill you and you deserve to do the things you love. Cheers!